We’re going to Kentucky, we’re going to the fair
To see the señorita with flowers in her hair.
So shake it, shake it, shake it,
Shake it if you dare!
Shake it like a milkshake, and shake it here to there!
Roll it to the bottom and roll it to the top,
And turn around and turn around and turn around and stop!
Formation: Students standing in a circle around one student.
Measures 1-8 = Students in the circle join hands and walk around the circle. Student in the middle can dance.
Measures 9-16 = Students stand in place and do a shaking dance.
Measures 17-18 = Roll arms and bend down
Measures 19-20 = Roll arms and stretch up
Measures 21-24 = “Turn around…” = Student in the middle covers eyes with one hand, puts out the other arm with finger pointing, and turns around in place until the word “stop!” The person who is being pointed to is the next “It” and goes to the middle of the circle, while the former “It” takes their place in the circle.
- songs from the Southeastern States (US)
- motion songs
- songs in 6/8
- songs with 4/4 & 6/8 versions
- songs with a pentascale in the melody
- songs with repeated tones
- songs with re in the melody
- songs with mi in the melody
- songs with chords I & V
- source: The Singing Game, Iona & Peter Opie, Oxford University Press, 1985