(African American folk song)
1. (Person 1) is her first name, first name, first name
(Person 1) is her first name among the little white daisies.
2. (Person 1) is her second name…
3. (Person 2) is his first name…
4. (Person 2) is his second name…
5. (Person 2) must go out now…
6. Left poor (Person 1) all alone…
7. Sixteen friends in the circle…
Formation: Students stand in a circle (optional) holding hands. Person 1 stands in the middle of the circle.
- Verse 1 – Students sing and circle right.
- Verse 2 – Students sing and circle left.
- Verse 3 – Person 1 chooses another student (Person 2) to stand in the center also while students sing Person 2’s name and circle right.
- Verse 4 – Students sing and circle left.
- Verse 5 – Person 2 leaves the circle while students circle right slowly and sing sadly.
- Verse 6 – Person 1 pretends to be sad and cry while students sing sadly and circle left.
- Verse 7 – Students stop circling. Each student stretches out one hand (palm down). Person 1 taps the hands of sixteen students (one for each quarter note beat of the song). The sixteenth person becomes the new Person 1.
Extras for Plus Members
- Song with chords (PDF)
- MIDI file
- Listen to the song