The river is up and the channel is deep,
The wind is steady and strong.
Oh won’t we have a jolly good time as we go sailing along.
Down the river, oh down the river, oh down the river we go.
Down the river, oh down the river, oh down the Ohio.
Dance / Play-Party Game
Formation: Students stand in two lines facing each other.
- step in four steps, out four steps, clap twice (at end of phrase)
- cross right shoulder and change sides, clap twice (end of phrase)
- first couple sashays down the alley, others clap on beat
- second-couple sashays down the alley
Extras for Plus Members
(or available for purchase here)
- Printable & Digital Visuals
Song with chords, Orff arrangement, Recorder Countermelody – notes G,A,B,D’, Rhythm ostinati (PDF)