I use a couple of different manipulatives for staff notation.
In 2nd grade, we begin using 3 lines. We practice putting round felt notes (see example below) on lines and spaces.
We get to know which line is 1 and which space is 2, etc.
On the other side I have a 5-lined staff, which we use later in 2nd grade and in all older grades.
I store the felt staffs in ziploc bags with the felt notes folded inside. I only made one for every 2 students, and they share.
I also use laminated staffs with bingo chips.
- Available below:
- Available on this page: BAG Worksheets & Handouts
- Available on this page: Lines & Spaces
- Available on this page: Elements of Music Notation
- Elements of Music Notation – worksheet/assessment
- BAG Worksheets & Handouts
- Lines & Spaces
- Order the staff graphic and have it made on vinyl
- Footnotes Staff Carpet
The following content is available below to Plus Members:
- PDF includes:
- Printable Staff Handouts