- Describe the different sections: instruments, dynamics, emotions
- Do different motions to the different sections
- Have them draw different scenes to depict what they hear in each section
- Show them different listening maps for each section and point to which they hear.
- Make it simpler by only focusing on Section A, and require that they recognize when “A” comes back again.
- Give each student an index card with “A” on it. Every time Section A repeats, they hold it up.
- When filling out a succession of boxes (see worksheet below), they are allowed to write “?” in any box that it is NOT Section A, and write “A” in the boxes where they hear that section repeat. That especially works well for Rondo form where A keeps repeating.
This is a wonderful song to help students experience Rondo form! Section A is so easy to learn, hum along with, and even dance!
Form = A B A C A D A B A
Most important for me, however, is for the students to recognize Section A, not all of the other sections. So, they could write out the form like this:
Campra: Tancrède – Triumphal March
Section A has a loud trumpet part.
Form = A B A C A
Mozart: Horn Concerto No. 4 in E-flat major, K. 495, III. Rondo (third movement)
Form: A B A C A B A
Ideas for teaching recognition of Section A:
- The first melody of Section A can be sung on “la” or “ba” while imitating a trumpet. Every time Section A returns, encourage them to sing along.
- Project or print an image that Section A reminds you of. For instance, you could find an image by doing an internet image search for “English hunting scene.”
- Ask the students to draw what they imagine when they hear section A. As they listen, they raise their pictures in the air whenever they hear Section A.
Mozart: Piano Sonata No. 11 in A major, K. 331, Movement 3: “Rondo Alla Turca”
“Rondo Alla Turca” means “Turkish Music.” In this case, Section B is the recurring section.
Form = A B C B A B Coda
(see more in-depth explanation of form)
Listen to the different instrumentations and versions:
Worksheets / Assessments