It takes a worried man to sing a worried song, (repeat twice)
I’m worried now but I won’t be worried long.
2. I went across the river, and I lay down to sleep.
When I woke up, had shackles on my feet.
3. Twenty-nine links of chain around my leg
And on each link, an initial of my name.
4. I asked the judge “Tell me, what’s gonna be my fine?”
“Twenty-one years on the Rocky Mountain Line.”
5. Twenty-one years to pay my awful crime
Twenty-one years, but I got ninety-nine.
6. The train arrived, sixteen coaches long
The girl I love was on that train and gone.
7. I looked down the track as far as I could see
Little bitty hand was waving after me.
8. If anyone should ask you who composed this song
Tell him it was I, and I sing it all day long.
- blues songs
- songs with dotted eighth note – sixteenth note patterns
- songs with I IV V chords
- source: Songs for Pickin’ and Singin’,James F. Leisy, Fawcett Publications, Inc, 1962
Extras for Plus Members
- Song with chords (PDF)
- MIDI file