1. Lavender’s blue, dilly dilly, lavender’s green,
When I am king, dilly dilly, you shall be queen.
Who told you so, dilly dilly, who told you so?
‘Twas my own heart, dilly dilly, that told me so.
2. Call up your men, dilly, dilly, set them to work
Some to the plow, dilly, dilly, some to the fork,
Some to make hay, dilly, dilly, some to cut corn,
While you and I, dilly, dilly, keep ourselves warm.
3. Lavender’s green, dilly, dilly, Lavender’s blue,
If you love me, dilly, dilly, I will love you.
Let the birds sing, dilly, dilly, And the lambs play;
We shall be safe, dilly, dilly, out of harm’s way.
4. I love to dance, dilly, dilly, I love to sing;
When I am queen, dilly, dilly, You’ll be my king.
Who told me so, dilly, dilly, Who told me so?
I told myself, dilly, dilly, I told me so.
- songs from England
- songs with dotted half notes
- songs about love
- This song used in a program: This is My Country
- songs with the major pentascale (going down) in the melody
- songs with I IV V chords
- songs in 3
- source: The Child’s Own Music Book, The Largest Collection of Mothers’ and Children’s Songs, Musical Games and Piano Music Ever Published, Covering Completely All Phases of Child Life, Wier, 1918
Extras for Plus Members
- Song with chords (PDF)
- MIDI file