1. Have a little dog and his name is Don (whistle )
Have a little dog and his name is Don
His legs go to feet and his bod- goes to tongue,
Toll-a-winker, toll-a-winker, tum tolly-aye.
2. Have a little box about three feet square (whistle)
Have a little box about three feet square,
When I go to travel I put him in there,
Toll-a-winker, toll-a-winker, turn tolly-aye.
3. When I go to travel I travel like an ox…
And in my vest pocket I carry that box…
4. Had a little hen and her color was fair…
Sat her on a bomb and she hatched me a hare…
5. The hare turned a horse about six feet high…
If you want to beat this you’ll have to tell a lie….
1. I had a little mule and his name was Jack.
I rode him on his tail to save his back.
2. I had a little mule and his name was Jay,
I pulled his tail to hear him bray.
3. I had a little mule who was quite slick,
I pulled his tail to see him kick.
4. This little mule he kicked so high,
I thought that I had touched the sky.
5. I had a little mule he was made of hay.
First big wind come along and blowed him away.
- songs about dogs
- silly songs
- different version
- source: American Folk Songs for Children,Ruth Crawford Seeger, Doubleday & Company, Inc., 1948
Extras for Plus Members
- Song with chords (PDF)
- MIDI file