(African American Spiritual)
I’m gonna sing when the Spirit says “sing.” (repeat twice)
And obey the Spirit of the Lord.
- Teach I’m Gonna Sing when the Spirit by rote.
- Students count how many phrases there are.
- Teach high D fingering on recorder. Echo patterns with high D.
- Notate recorder part on board. Practice playing.
- Board visual. Show where the bars on xylophone are.
- Students take turns playing xylophones and recorders while the rest of the students sing the song.
Extras for Plus Members
- Visuals & Digital (Recorder countermelody) Visuals
- Song with chords, Orff arrangement, Recorder Countermelody – notes G,A,B,D’ (PDF)
- MIDI file
- Listen to the song
1 thought on “I’m Gonna Sing When the Spirit Says Sing”
I love your ideas to help children learn music. I believe that kids who learn to better intuitively understand music can excel in many other subjects as well. I created an app for iPad that also furthers this effort, giving anyone a chance to make complex music structures without traditional musical technique. You can learn more about it here: http://ivorybull.com/riff-machine-brain-power/