On the first day of school, there are procedures I need to discuss, but I always want to open and close the class with fun musical experiences! Here are some ideas:
- Teach the school song
- Or if you don’t have a good school song, you could sing something patriotic (American patriotic songs).
- Sing a hello song that you continue to sing in the future.
- Reinforce your rules by singing a positive song about respect, friendship, behavior (Character Counts, Don’t Laugh at Me)
- Sing something that makes them laugh – silly songs
- Sing an active hand-clapping or movement song that you can continue to build on in upcoming classes.
- Start to learn their names (name songs)
On the first day of school, here are some of the things I discuss with all of my classes:
- Chorus Explanation
- Chorus Sign Up Sheets
- Chorus – Pick Good Repertoire
- International Songs for Chorus
- Standards-Based Grading
Get to know your students’ names on the first day of school!