Does anyone else do Character Counts? I found/edited songs for each of the character traits and taught my Chorus to sing them for the school assemblies – and the other students learned the refrains to sing along. Here are some recommendations:
- Trustworthiness – Trust is a Must Blues by Roger Emerson
- Respect – R-E-S-P-E-C-T by Roger Emerson
- Responsibility – Be Responsible, my adapted version of a Spiritual
- Fairness – Sing About Martin by Jackie Weissman. For one of the phrases, I substituted the phrase, “Sing about fairness,” instead of one of the phrases in the song.
- Caring – Lean on Me by Bill Withers [Also see Songs about Friendship, Golden Rule]
- Citizenship – Save the Planet by Gene Grier & Lowell Everson (I changed the verses to say: “We’ll do our share to help the school and our community. Cooperate and stay informed. Respect authority!”) [Also see Tree Song]