1. Poor dog Bright
Ran off with all his might
Because the cat was after him,
Poor dog Bright!
2. Poor cat Fright
Ran off with all her might
Because the dog was after her,
Poor cat Fright!
1. A, B, C, tumbledown D,
The cat is in the cupboard and can’t see me.
2. Poor dog Bright ran off with all his might
Because the cat was after him, Poor dog Bright!
3. Poor cat Fright ran off with all her might
Because the dog was after her, Poor cat Fright!
Formation: Students in a circle holding hands: Student who is “Dog” stands outside of the circle. Student who is “Cat” stands or dances inside the circle.
- Verse 1: Students sing while “Dog” walks or dances around outside of the circle.
- Verse 2: Students lift their arms and sing. “Cat” runs out of the circle to try to catch “Dog,” and “Dog” runs away. Whether or not “Cat” catches “Dog,” continue to the next verse.
- Verse 3: Students continue with arms lifted and sing. “Dog” turns around and tries to catch “Cat.” Whether or not “Dog” catches “Cat,” when the verse ends, and two new students are chosen to play “Dog” and “Cat.” (source)
- Subject: dogs
- Activities: circle singing games
- Meter: 2
- Rhythm: / / / beat vs. rhythm / steady beat
- Scales: melodic minor (version 1) / pentatonic (version 2)
- Source: The Child’s Own Music Book, The Largest Collection of Mothers’ and Children’s Songs, Musical Games and Piano Music Ever Published, Covering Completely All Phases of Child Life, Wier, 1918
- Alternate melody: A B C Tumble Down D
- Similar game: Naughty Kitty Cat
Extras for Plus Members
- Printable & Digital Visuals
- Handouts / Worksheets / Assessments / Rhythm Cards
- Songs with chords, Lesson ideas for Rhythm (beat vs. rhythm, Quarter & Eighth Notes & Rests) (PDF)
- MIDI file
- Listen to the song