The Water is Wide
1. The water is wide, I cannot cross o’er,
And neither have I the wings to fly.
Build me a boat that can carry two,
And both shall row,
My true love and I.
2. A ship there is and she sails the seas.
She’s laden deep, as deep can be;
But not so deep as the love I’m in
And I know not if I sink or swim.
3. I leaned my back up against a young oak
Thinking he were a trusty tree
But first he bended and then he broke
Thus did my love prove false to me.
4. O love is handsome and love is fine
Bright as a jewel when first it’s new
But love grows old and waxes cold
And fades away like the morning dew.
This would be a good piece for your Choir to sing.
- more songs from England
- more songs from the British Isles
- more good songs for chorus
- More songs with whole notes
- more songs with long / short sounds
- more songs about boats & ships
- more songs about love
The following content is available below to Plus Members:
- PDF includes:
- Song with chords
- MIDI file