Each lesson is 30 minutes long.
- Opening Song
- Echo rhythm patterns: Teacher do 4/4 rhythm, they echo. Vary body percussion.
- Hoop Rhythms– add body percussion (snap, clap, pat, stamp)
- Play shuffle blues beat on keyboard
- Students take turns by standing in one hoop at a time while students do the appropriate body percussion: 8 beats in each hoop. I say, “switch” at about beat 6 to help the “conductor” know when to go to a different hoop.
- Introduce Fooba Wooba John (more silly songs)
- To help review basic rhythms, show the colorful handout with the measures (of the song). Students identify the order the measures go.
- Use rhythm cards to review the names of the notes and rests.
- Divide class into 4 groups, each group perform one measure with different body percussion.
More lessons available below.
Extras for Plus Members
- 5th grade rhythm lessons (#1-16)