1. Hop old squirrel, eidledum, eidledum…
2. Jump old squirrel…
3. Run old squirrel…
4. Hide old squirrel…
Formation: Students sit on the floor in a circle.
- Verse 1 – One student is the “squirrel” (“It”) who hops around the outside of the circle as students pat the steady beat while singing. Everyone freezes on the last word “dee.” “It” stops behind one person, who becomes the new “It.”
- Verse 2 – “It” jumps (on two feet) around the outside of the circle and stops on “dee.” “It” stops behind one person, who becomes the new “It.”
- Verse 3 – “It” runs around the outside of the circle and stops on “dee.” “It” stops behind one person, who becomes the new “It.”
- Verse 4 – Students sitting in the circle close their eyes while “It” hides behind a piece of furniture in the room. At the end of the song, students in circle ask, “Where are you, old squirrel?” The hiding squirrel makes a squeak, and students in circle point to where they think the sound came from. “It” comes out of hiding and shows if they are correct.
Extras for Plus Members
- Printable & Digital Visuals
- Song with chords, Lesson ideas for Rhythm (quarter rests), Melody (recorder notes GAB), Call & Response, Recorder Student Copies (GAB), Orff arrangement (PDF)
- MIDI file
- Listen to the song
Amazon links are affiliate links. I earn a small commission, but there is no extra cost to you.