Carl Orff, the great music educator, said “Music is chosen with strong nationalistic flavor, being related to folk songs and music of the child’s own heritage.” (“The Orff Approach to Music Education” By Gloria Day)
I would rather teach folk songs in my classes and programs than composed music for many reasons:
- They have stood the test of time
- They reflect the culture, values and stories from the countries they’re from
- They are often really fun and easy to sing!
- They are not copyright protected!
- I tell the students that we can’t wear the same clothes or eat the same food that people of our history did, but we can sing the same songs and dance the same dances.
- alphabetical index – find hundreds of folk songs!