Lesson 2 – Rhythm / Melody
- Opening Song: (School Song / Friendship or Positive Song / How Do You Do?)
- Chumbara (more steady beat songs) (more high / low songs)
- Introduce song as students pat knees on the beat.
- At the end, change the lyrics to “low high low” and move hands down, up, down.
- Sing different verses – even student names. Each time move hands up and down with the melodic contour.
- Sing octave patterns with the lyrics “low” and “high,” students echo and move hands. For instance:
- Sing C C’ C while singing “low high low,” students echo…
- After several examples, play keyboard and sing at the same time, students echo…
- Then, just play some examples on the keyboard, students echo by singing “low high low” (or whatever the pattern was).
- Sailing in the Boat
- Introduce song – students make rowing motions on the beat.
- Teach adapted version for High & Low – move hands up and down with the melodic contour.
- Show the high & low visuals.
- Students stand up, pretend to be in a row boat. Move hands in rowing motion. Move hands high and low when those parts are sung.
- Tell the story (or read a book) about the Three Billy Goats Gruff. Use high, middle and low voices to describe each goat.
More lessons available below.
Extras for Plus Members
- 1st Grade Rhythm/Melody Lessons 1-13