Visuals / Worksheets / Assessments
(See downloads at bottom of page. Each number has a corresponding button.)
- Russian composer, conductor and pianist
- one of the major composers of the 20th century
- born in part of the Russian Empire, now Ukraine
- as a child prodigy, wrote his first piano piece at age 5 and opera at age 9
- at age 13, studied at St. Petersburg Conservatory (was several years younger than other students)
- toured the U.S. and Europe playing the piano
- wrote in many musical genres, including film music; favorite genre was opera, the most successful of which was “The Love for Three Oranges.”
- wrote the well-known children’s symphonic story, Peter and the Wolf
Recordings of instruments / character themes
- Narrated by Lina Prokofiev
- Narrated by Sir John Gielgud
- Narrated by Leonard Bernstein
- Narrated by Sting
- These excerpts aren’t solos, but the instrument/character is featured:
- YouTube videos of the instruments playing the themes:
(Click images to link to purchase.)
- Peter and the Wolf DVD – Amazon – live action and cartoon – I only show the cartoon part.
- Peter and the Wolf DVD – MusicK8 – puppets by Jim Gamble – I like this one for the younger students.
- Peter and the Wolf – YouTube – Narrated by Sting – live action and puppets – it’s a little creepy for younger students, I think.
- Recording / Video of cartoon pictures – YouTube
Extras for Plus Members
- Prokofiev Poster, Memory Game / Flash Cards, Word Search, Instruments / Characters Assessment, Name instrument & family, Character Handout, Visuals
Amazon links are affiliate links. I earn a small commission, but there is no extra cost to you.