When your goal is to have the students fill out A,B,C, etc. on a form worksheet or assessment, they first need to be very familiar with the piece, or at least portions of the piece. For non-musicians especially, it can be very difficult to know what to listen for, and all sections could sound alike. (Also, remember, aural learning is the least – or at least one of the least – developed of the senses.
Prepare your students for success by listening to the piece many times before you assess them. Have them do one or more of the following as they learn the piece. Adding another sense (i.e. visual or kinesthetic) will be the most helpful.
- Describe the different sections: instruments, dynamics, emotions
- Do different motions to the different sections
- Have them draw different scenes to depict what they hear in each section
- Show them different listening maps for each section and point to which they hear.
- Make it simpler by only focusing on Section A, and require that they recognize when “A” comes back again.
- Give each student an index card with “A” on it. Every time Section A repeats, they hold it up.
- When filling out a succession of boxes (see worksheet below), they are allowed to write “?” in any box that it is NOT Section A, and write “A” in the boxes where they hear that section repeat. That especially works well for Rondo form where A keeps repeating.
Worksheets / Assessments
- Nutcracker March and Syncopated Clock worksheet & Syncopated Clock listening map (available below)
- AB, ABA, ABC Worksheet / Assessment (available below)
- Nutcracker March listening map – available on Nutcracker 1st grade
- Rondo Worksheets – available on Rondo Form
- Rondo from Horn Concerto No. 4 in E-flat major, K495 – W. A. Mozart – available on Mozart
- Stars & Stripes Forever (Sousa) Form Worksheets – available on John Philip Sousa
- Printable Cards available – available on Rondo Form
- Twelve Variations on “Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman” – available on Mozart
Extras for Plus Members
(or available for purchase here)
Nutcracker March & Syncopated Clock Listening Map & Worksheet
- Form AB, ABA, ABC Worksheet / Assessment