Poster / Handouts / Worksheets / Assessments
(See download at bottom of page.)
(See downloads at bottom of page.)
- Known as “The King of Ragtime”
- Born in the United States in (most likely) 1867 and grew up in Texarkana on the Texas-Arkansas border.
- Started playing the piano as a child
- Traveled around the country and helped make ragtime become popular
- In 1899, he composed his most famous rag, Maple Leaf Rag, which became the top-selling ragtime song, selling more than a million copies
- Composed The Entertainer in 1902
- Ragtime had a revival almost 60 years after his death when his music was used in a major motion picture.
- Ragtime has a combination of syncopation and duple meter with a steady beat. It influenced early jazz.
Extras for Plus Members
- Poster, Listening Maps, Worksheets/Assessments, Crossword, Assessment, Piano Coloring (PDF)