- Born in Chicago, Illinois (U.S.)
- Her mom taught her to play the piano.
- She wrote her first piece of music at the age of 5.
- She studied piano and composition at Northwestern University in Illinois. She was one of only a few Black students, and she was not allowed to live on campus.
- After graduation, she went to New York and studied at Juilliard School of Music.
- She is known for being a great teacher, composer and performer.
- She was the first Black performer to play with the Chicago Symphony.
- She is best known for her arrangements of African American Spirituals and her collaboration with poet Langston Hughes.
Extras for Plus Members
- Margaret Bonds poster (PDF)