- Demonstrate xylophone – which note is which (only mi, so and la: E, G and A)
- I play a pattern on xylophone as I sing on solfege, they sing back, then add Curwen hand signs
- Pass out paper xylophone, students practice “playing” a few times (alternate hands)
- Students get 2 turns: one with regular mallets, second with backwards mallets (playing with sticks).
- I sing patterns, they play back on xylophones.
- They practice Bounce High, Bounce Low (or another mi, so, la song they are already familiar with) with sticks (backwards mallets) – they just try it out, see if they can do it
- Sing Lucy Locket (another song they have learned previously)
- Pass out “Lucy Locket – Write the Song” page – students get clipboards and pencils, sit near board. I demonstrate how to write notes and write the entire song on the board. They can copy what I wrote or use the back of their paper to copy the notes onto the blank staff. I check their work.
- If time, play Lucy Locket game.
- Pass out Handwriting Practice sheet – partners can help each other, then show me.
- Practice patterns on paper xylophones
- Practice patterns with partner holding paper up
- Lucy Locket game
- Practice melodic patterns from last lesson’s worksheet on paper xylophones
- Students take turns on xylophones – practice patterns I sing, then echo
- Then, turn mallets backwards and make up patterns
- Teach chant: Shine in your Heart.
- Pass out composition papers – get partners. Practice possible melodic patterns with partners with the poem’s rhythm.
- Sit next to partner. Both practice song on paper xylophones.
- If you have finished practicing on xylophone, write notes on staff.
- to teacher to type on the Sibelius program.
- Practice on xylophones & paper xylophones
- Write notes on computer copy (some finish writing on staff)
- Practice song
- Paper Xylophone
Partners help each other learn to play their own compositions. One person holds the music, the other plays. Then they switch.
- Elements of Music Notation worksheet / assessment
- Staff manipulatives
- Lucy Locket
- composition of melodies
Extras for Plus Members
Lesson ideas, Lucy Locket “Write the Song,” Music Handwriting Practice Worksheet, Paper Xylophone, Composition Worksheet, Rubric