- Born in Germany, lived most of his life in Austria
- Played piano and violin
- Father treated him badly and forced him to practice for long hours
- Father wanted him to become a child prodigy like Mozart
- Became deaf in his late 40’s
- Composed 9 symphonies (piece of music played by an orchestra)
- Two famous symphonies = No. 5 and No. 9
- No. 9 includes Ode to Joy
- Composed Für Elise, written for the piano
- Added more instruments to the orchestra than composers before him
- Used more emotions in his music than composers before him
- Classical Period = style of music that Mozart wrote in (before Beethoven)
- Ushered in the Romantic Period
Listen for Emotions Worksheet
- An element of Beethoven’s music that appeals to students is his expression of emotion, both in his life and in his music. This is one quality that set him apart from his predecessors.
- Discuss with students how they express their emotions.
- Listen to different pieces of music of Beethoven and have students circle the face that most closely demonstrates the emotions they feel.
- Some examples of pieces to play:
- Symphony No. 5 in C minor, First Movement, Allegro con brio – Amazon
- Symphony No. 7 in A Major, Second Movement, Allegretto – Amazon
- Opus 27, No. 2: Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor (“Moonlight”) – Amazon
- Poco moto (Bagatelle) in A minor (“Für Elise”) – Amazon
- Symphony No. 9, Fourth Movement, Ode to Joy – Amazon
- Some of the questions require you to play some of Beethoven’s music during the quiz.
- Nos. 1 & 2 – Poco moto (Bagatelle) in A minor (“Für Elise”)
- No. 4 – Symphony No. 5 in C minor, First Movement, Allegro con brio
- No. 5 – Symphony No. 9, Fourth Movement, Ode to Joy (about halfway through)
- No. 17 – I discuss the optional answers to this question in advance.
Great youtube videos of Beethoven’s 5th below. It’s impressive to think how important this piece is that it is so often reproduced!
- Graphic Representation
- Piano Remix
- Walter Murphy: A Fifth of Beethoven
- Rush Remix
- DJ OzYBoY Walter Murphy 2008 Remix
- Alaskan-Style – Daniel Bautista
- Argument to Beethoven’s 5th
- Yngwie Malmsteen – electric guitar
- Redneck Tenors
- Neil Zaza
- Hand music
Extras for Plus Members
- Beethoven Poster, Emotions Worksheet, Beethoven Crossword & Assessment